01 October, 2012

Parakeet babies.

Our Parakeets started having babies this summer.  The momma, a.k.a. Crystal, laid 7 eggs total, but only two hatched.  It has been an educational, and fun experience for our little family.  
Egg #1

Our set up.

The bluish purplish one is the mom, Crystal, and the green on is the dad, Chilli.


Egg #2.  They lay their eggs every other day like clock work. 

Egg #3

Egg #4

Egg # 6, I guess I didn't get pictures of #'s 5 or 7, but you get the point, there were 7.

This is the first one, we later named "Later Gator." Gator  for short.  It just seemed to fit.


The proud parents

Here are babies one and two.  The little one we later named "Little Dipper". Dipper for short.

This was about a week, maybe two, after they were born.  They grow really fast.




We went to the pet shop for a few things for the birds, and saw these cuties.  They were so funny on the hamster wheel.  I couldn't help but laugh, they were so funny. Who ever though of putting a hamster wheel in a tank full of parakeets was genius. :)

I think this is about 2-3 weeks after they were born.  

Gator
Gator, on the left, and Dipper on the right.  Chilling in their box.
Summer and David and Conner with Crystal, Chile, and Sunshine.

Jessica and Maren posing with Little Dipper. 


Victoria with Pepper, Brenna's Bird.

Summer with Crystal and Chile

Steven the Pirate, Aaarrrrrr me maty!!!


Victoria striking the pirate pose with Pepper.


Brenna lookin' so stinking adorable with her bird.

Play time!!!


Corby sporting all of the birds Bird Boy style.  He is my best bird handler.  I can always count on him to get the job right. :) The birds from left to right. Crystal, Chile, Pepper, Sunshine, and Little Dipper.








Some things I learned about Parakeets in the process of my birds having babies.  First of all, according to http://www.budgieplace.com, I have three male parakeets, and one female.  Second, Chile is very, very protective of Crystal, and treats her like a queen.  He always makes sure she has enough to eat, and that she is taken care of.  He also loves to fight with Pepper whenever it is mating season, even though Pepper usually looks like he could care less. Third, I need to separate the male and female soon.  They recently started a new clutch of eggs, and I am worried about how many will actually hatch this time.  I'm running out of friends who would like birds. ;-/   I will wait until these babies are grown and ready to relocate to new homes, since Chile really looks out for Crystal while she is busy caring for her babies. I would hate for her to starve her self. All in all, it has been a great experience.

No comments: